Saturday 16 January 2016

Blind Sage's curse

The bling sage and his wife were in their hut. Suddenly the left eye of Sindhu's mother started throbbing. She asked her husband - things don't seem correct. Sindhu should have been home long back.
The husband said maybe Sindhu did not get something close by so he went deep into the forest to get fruits and water.
Dashratha approached the hut with Sindhu's body. He stepped over dry leaves, which made some noise.
Thinking their son had come, they both said Son you are late today. Do give us some fruits and water to drink.
The king did not know what to do. With the body in his arms, he stepped back a step.
The sage said, You are playing with your blind parents, do come out and talk to us.
He started meditating and realized what had happened to his son.
With watery eyes, Dashratha laid down Sindhu's boy.
The sage said Welcome Dashratha, Killer of my son. I do not know what to say except that you will also die when your son leaves you. We will give up our body, grieving for our son. May you also die grieving thus.
While the sage cursed him, the king felt joy. He would eventually become a father. Addressing the sage, the king said - What you have said has come to me as a boon. Let me die after I see my son. Your curse has come to me as a boon.
The sage meditated and realized that Narayana will be born in the house of Dashratha. He said - Go King, you will have four sons. You will die of grief when your sons leave you. Let me tell you how I lost my eyes. Once the sage Trijata came to my ashrama. He had elephantiasis and both his legs were swollen. Reluctant to touch his feet, I closed my eyes and touched them. Trijata blessed me to be like that, and from that day I lost my vision. My wife had also done the same, and she also lost her vision. My curse will act like a boon for you. I have a coconut with me which I had gathered in the forest. Mix this in the holy offering and you will be blessed with sons. Please bring Sindhu close to me. Let me touch him.

The king kept Sindhu on the ground the sage couple started running their hands over Sindhu's body. Taking the name of Narayana, he gave up his body. His wife, devoted to her husband, also left her body.

The king went to the banks of the river, and lit a pyre. There he laid the sage couple and Sindhu and lit their pyre. He then left for his kingdom.

Having killed a brahman, the king instead proceeding homewards, went to his Guru, Vashistha's ashrama. Vashistha was not there, but his son Vama was. The king told him what had happened. Vama said take the name of Rama three times and you will be free. Free of guilt and sin, the king went home.

In the evening, when Vashitha came home, Vama told him what had happened. Vashistha said taking the name of Rama once will liberate one from the killing of a million (Ramayana says Koto or Crore, ten million)  brahamans. As my son you did not pay heed. Go live the life of a Chandala.

Vama asked, how would he be free. His father said, Rama will be born as son of Dashratha. One day he will meet you on the banks of Ganga. When his feet touch you, you will be freed.

Taking the name of Guhaka, Vama began roaming in the forests. 

No comments:

Post a Comment