Monday 24 October 2016

Sita's exile

Taking leave of the subjects, Rama was quiet. He had tears in his eyes. He decided to go for a bath in the river. Going along, he went and stepped into the water, unnoticed. As fate would ahve it, Rama heard two people talking and decided to quietly listen to them. This was a conversation between a man and his son in law. The man was saying - Seeing that you are a good family, I had married my daughter in your house. Why have you driven her out of your house? She has come to me alone, in the night, and is at my house now.
The son in law said - Let your daughter stay in your house. I have no need for her, in my house. She had stepped out of the house and I had no idea where she was. I am not Rama that I will take back my wife, after she has spent ten months in the house of the King of Lanka.
Hearing this, the father in law went away.
Rama heard this and realized that what Bhadra had said was not a lie. Rama went back into this quarters.
He saw a five month pregnant Sita lying on her cot, being served by her maids. They were asking her what Ravana looked like. Sita said she had no idea and only seen his shadow. When the maids asked what the shadow looked like, Sita drew a picture of the floor. Feeling sleepy, Sita lay down on the floor. When Rama came close to Sita, he saw her lying next to the picture of Ravana.
He decided to send Sita away. He came out. He thought - Why father had sent me away because of truth. I need to do the same. The Gods had said Sita was pure. I am know Sita has not sinned but what do I tell the people.
Rama sent for his brothers and told them what was going on in his mind.
He asked Lakshmana to leave Sita in the ashrama of a sage. Valmiki's ashrama was the place where she should be. Sita herself had expressed her wish to live in the ashrama of a sage. He asked him to tell Sita to leave with him and go to the ashrama of Valmiki. You and Sita will go in the chariot and you will leave Sita in the ashrama of Valmiki. Do not take anyone else with you.
The brothers tried to talk to Rama. If Sita is angry and curses the kingdom, everything will be lost. if you want to leave Sita, build a palace for her, and let her stay there.
Rama said that will not stop people from talking.

Lakshmana finally took a chariot and arriving at Sita's quarters, went inside and stood with head bent.
Sita said Are you angry with me? Maybe because I had something bad that may have hurt you, when we were in the forest. Sit and talk to me. Why are you quiet?

Lakshmana said You are the queen and I can come and talk to you when I get orders from the king.
Saying so, he bent down and touched her feet.

Sita asked him, why he had come.

Lakshmana said - You had said to Rama that you wanted to visit the sages. Rama has asked me to take you there. Take whatever you want with you and let us leave.
Sita went to gather gifts for the sages and their wives.

Lakshmana said As per the orders of Rama, we will be going silently. No one should know that we are leaving for an ashrama. Sita's maids wanted to go with her, but Sita asked them to wait. I will be back soon, after meeting the sages.

The whole world was grieving when Sita left. The animals and birds had tears and the trees also stood drooping.  Sita said - Something is not right. Is this because I did not meet Rama and my mother in law before I left.
Sita saw a snake on her left and fox on her right side.
She said to Lakshmana - I see too many ill omens. Let us return back. We will go some other day.

Lakshmana was quiet. He had tears in his eyes. He could not go against Rama's wishes and did not want to hurt Sita.

Lakshmana said Do not worry. We are on the banks of Yamuna.

Sita saw the tears in the eyes of Lakshmana. She said I am scared. What pains you Lakshmana. Please tell me.
Lakshama said It in the orders of the Rama, that I have come to leave you in the forest.
Saying, he told her what Rama has asked him to do, and the reason for the same.

Sita said Why did Rama not say this to me himself? If he did not want to keep me, why did have me go through the test in Lanka, to prove my purity? I am going to kill myself in waters of Yamuna.

Lakshama controlled her and keeping her near the ashrama of Valmiki, he left.

No comments:

Post a Comment