Tuesday 3 May 2016

Ravana comes to Sita

Second part of the night was over. The moon was in the sky and a gentle breeze was blowing. Ravana got up and wanted to see Sita. Followed by gurads and many women, Ravana came to the garden where Sita was. Hanumana decided to wait and see what Ravana said and did. He hid himself in the leaves of the tree. Sita tried to hide herself but was unable to.

Ravana said - Why do you try to escape from me. You are a beautiful woman and I have lost my heart to you. Even in dirty clothes your beauty lights up my garden. You have led your life so far, worshiping Rama and have only got grief. Come to me and you will be happy. Forget Rama who leads the life of a hermit. He may not even be alive, and probably has become the meal of a rakshasha. I have fought and defeats Gods, Yakshas, Danavas, Kinnaras and Gandharvas. Where does a mere human stand? I have wealth in my house, that is unthinkable. Say it, and all will be yours. I know of the arts of love making. I will play around with you. I beg off you to accept me. Ravana who has never bent his head before anyone bends his ten heads in front of you.

Angered, Sita said slowly - I am the daughter of Janaka and wife of Rama. Rama will kill you and end your dynasty. Even if you manage the nectar of immortality, Rama will find a way to slay you. You are proud of Lanka, saying it is impregnable. Rama will destroy it. Let me tell you something that is in your favor. Return me to Rama and become his friend. You are falling at my feet which means I deserve respect. Then how can you say such horrid things about me. Rama is my life. Rama is my God. Sita knows no one else other than Rama.

Ravana said - I had given you time of a year. Out of that, ten months are gone and you are left with two months only.

Sita said - Do not think of my death. It is you, who will die. Think of the differences between you and Rama. You are no where close to Rama. If Rama is a lion you are a dog.

Ravana was angered. He picked up a chopper and decided to put an end to Sita. Mandodari came and caught his hand. She said - Remember the curse of Nalkubera. If you touch a woman against her wish, you will die.

Ravana threw down the weapon and called for the rakshasis who were guarding Sita. He told them to talk to Sita and get some sense in her head. Saying this, Ravana left.

The rakshasis started telling Sita - Accept Ravana. You will not get a husband like him in the three worlds. Rama is not wealthy. Ravana is. Accept him.

Sita said - Even if Rama is poor, Rama is mine.

Hearing this, the rakshasis decided to kill Sita. They said they had to keep awake and guard the whole night, Their life had become miserable. Some pulled Sita by her hair. Sita with unkempt appearance starting crying - Where are you, O Rama. Help me. If there is someone listening to me, do go and tell Rama about my misery. Let my tears not stop. Let Lanka be destroyed.

Thus Sita cursed Lanka.

No comments:

Post a Comment