Monday 5 September 2016

Sita enters the fire

The vanaras rushed to have a glimpse of Sita. The palanquin of Sita stopped at a point and from then on, one needed to walk. The vanaras prepared umbrellas to protect Sita from the sun, while she walked towards Rama.
Soon Sita spotted Rama seated on a spot. On his right was Sugriva and on his left was Lakshmana.
Vibhishana tried to push aside the vanaras to make way for Sita, but Rama said this was not correct. Sita was mother of all, and all had the right to see her.
Hanumana then realized that Rama wanted to test Sita.
Sita bowed down to Rama's feet. Lakshmana bowed down at Sita's feet.
Rama was thinking of the people. Did they have any doubts about Sita's character? Would he have to leave Sita?
Rama then said - I have helped you leave Ravana's prison. I do not know what you did for ten months. Choose a place and go there. Choose any one here and go with that person. If I had not rescued you, I would have been blamed. You are now free. Free to go wherever you want.

With tears in her eyes, Sita slowly said - You know me well and still you have a doubt about my character. Not one person had touched me so far, other than the wicked Ravana. You sent Hanumana to me. Why did you not forsake me then? I would have consumed poison and entered the fire. I would not have been insulted. I am not a low caste woman that you give me away to anyone. Lakshmana, help me. Please prepare a pyre of wood. I will enter the fire.

Lakshmana looked at Rama and Rama asked him to do as Sita said.

Lakshmama prepared the wood and lit it. When the flames of the pyre touched the sky, Sita decided to enter the pyre. She went around Rama seven times. When went around the fire three times and then with folded hands, she said - If I am pure, then fire will protect me.
Site entered the pyre.

Pitchers of clarified butter were poured on the flames, the fire started burning fiercely.

Rama tried to search for Sita, but he could not see her. All was dark in front of his eyes. Rama said - What have I done. Sita, please come out of the fire. I killed Ravana to get you back and now with you in the fire, what use is my life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment