Saturday 27 February 2016

Coronation

Next day Rama went to his father and greeted him. Dashratha said :

Do your duties as a just king. I had performed sacrifices to please the departed ancestors and gods. I looked after my subjects like my children. It is because one of the sacrifices that I got a son like you. I am old and will be leaving the world soon. I want you to be king after me and today I crown you king. Differentiate between friends and foes.
I have dreamt of ill omens. I have seen comets falling. I saw a lunar eclipse happening on a new moon day, something which cannot happen.
I feel my end is near and I would like you to be king in place of me.I am not sure how good a king Bharata will make, so I would like you to take up that role. Also, you being the eldest have the right to rule.
I have arranged for a formal ceremony to happen tomorrow.


Saying this Dashratha took leave of Rama.

Rama went to visit his mother, Kaushalya was busy with her worship when Rama approached her. He told her what Dashratha had told him. He asked her to pray to Durga and get her blessings.

Kaushalya blessed her son and Shiva and Durga be with you always to guide you.

Lakshmana came there looking for Rama. Rama told Lakshmana about the coronation.

The two brothers went to Sumitra, took her blessings and then they went back to Dashratha.

The preparations had started. Lamps were being lit everywhere. Everyone was happy and in a joyous mood. In the heavens, the gods also gathered to watch.

Slowly the sages started arriving and Rama took blessings of all of them.

Rama was anointed with sandal paste and with the chanting of mantras, he was crowned. Vashistha said the coronation would happen at an auspicious moment, the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment