Tuesday 1 March 2016

Kaikeyi asks the king to fulfill her promises

Manthara said , do not delay. Change your dress and do as I told you earlier.The king will come to you soon, so be ready.
Hearing the words, the queen took off her ornaments. She changed into old clothes and lay down on the floor.

Dashratha wanted to tell Kaikeyi about Rama to be made king. He made his way towards her rooms. Seeing her in a bad condition, the king was deeply hurt. Slowly he asked her what was the matter.
Kaikeyi did not reply.
The king said I am scared like the deer in the forest when it spots a tiger. What is the matter with you? If you are unwell, let me know. The best of the physicians will come and attend to you. Let me know what ails you, and that will be given to you.

Hearing this Kaikeyi started reminding him of the two promises he had made. She said she was well and would be asking for something, only when the king had promised her that what she wanted would be given to her.

The king said he was promising that whatever she wanted would be given to her.

Kaikeyi then said that all Gods and guardians of all directions be witness to what the king just said. She told the king about the two promises - when she had tended to him after a war, and how she had nursed him when he had a septic finger. She said would be asking for those now. With the first she wanted Bharata to be made king, with the second sending Rama to the forests for fourteen years.

The king collapsed. Collecting himself, he said if Rama goes, I will die. Rama is my life. What kind of wife are you, that wants her husband's death. If Bharata hears this, he will either kill himself or kill you. You are killing me before my time has come. I fall at your feet and beg for my life.

The king fell at Kaikeyi's feet.
He said as soon as it is dawn, kings will come to see Rama being made king. Rama is the crown prince now and in the morning he will be made king. 

No comments:

Post a Comment