Monday 21 March 2016

Surpanakha gets her nose and ears cut off

One day, Surpanakha, sister of Ravana happened to be in that part of the forest. One look at Rama, and she was instantly attracted towards him.
Ugly in nature and form, she changed her looks to resemble a beautiful woman, to entice Rama.
She approached Rama and asked him who he was. She said You look royal, but are dressed like a hermit. Why are you in this forest which is infested by demons. They are not far from here, so it is not a safe place to be in. I see a beautiful woman, with you. Who is she? I see another man here, who looks like you? Who is he?
Rama nicely said he was Rama,  son of Dashratha, king of Ayodhya and the woman was his wife, Sita. The other man was Lakshmana, his brother. I am hear to fulfill a promise. Who are you? You are as beautiful as the apsaras. Are you an apsara?
Surpanakha said she was sister of Ravana, king of Lanka. She was alone having lost her husband, and roamed around the world. Seeing Rama, she had given her heart to him, and wanted him to be hers. She said her brother, Ravana, ruled in Lanka. She had a brother, Kumbhakarna, who slept for six months. There was a brother, Vibhishana, who was a religious person. They all stayed in Lanka. There were two other brothers, Khara and Dushana, who were with her in the forest. Being the youngest, I have been spoiled. I desire you, please become mine. We will roam around together, and I will take you to places which no human has visited before. Sita will not be able to do this for you. If your wife and brother try to stop us, I will eat them up. Look at me, I am much more beautiful than Sita. Leave her aside, and come with me.
Seeing Sita feeling insecure, Rama asked her not to worry and he said he will have fun at the expense of this woman. He said to Surpanakha, I am already married and if I take you, you will have to share me with Sita. You see my brother, Lakshmana. He is alone. Go to him. Lakshmana is like me in looks, and he is also fair.
Surpanakha went to Lakshmana and said she wanted him. Lakshmana said he was nothing but a servant of Rama. Why have fun with a servant. Go back to the master.
Not realizing that Rama and Lakshmana were having fun, Surpanakha went back to Rama.
She said she had come back to him. It seems Sita was cause for rejection. She would kill and eat Sita and Rama would be free.
Changing to her original shape, Surpanakha rushed to eat Sita. Sita started running and Surpanakha chased her.
Rama said to Lakshmana, the joke had gone too far.
Lakshmana released an arrow and Surpanakha lost her ears and nose.
The ugly rakshashi was looking uglier with a nose cut and blood all over her.
She rushed to where Khara and Dushana were.


No comments:

Post a Comment