Friday 25 March 2016

Ravana goes to Maricha

Next day Ravana stepped out of the palace. His charioteer got the Pushpaka chariot for him. Pushpaka was a chariot like no other, which was pulled by the wind. There were eight flying horses tied to the chariot. The chariot was studded with gems and could travel at lightning speeds.

Ravana climbed on, and in no time the chariot crossed many lands, rivers, the ocean and came to a forest full of large banyan trees. In that forest, Maricha was meditating. Maricha, knowing Ravana had come to him, got scared like a snake gets when it sees a large eagle.

Ravana said to Maricha : You have the strength of a thousand elephants. The Gods and other celestial beings are afraid of you. I have come to you for help. Rama, in the Dandaka forest, has killed the rakshasas living there. Brothers like Khara and Dushana are also dead. It is a shame that even though you are alive, such a thing could happen. Surpanakha has had her ears and nose cut. I can go with Meghnad and fight Rama, but before that I have come to you for help. I have heard Rama has a very beautiful wife. I have come to you to help me kidnap that wife of Rama.

Hearing this, Maricha said : Alas Ravana, you are surrounded by people who are giving you wrong advise. If you kidnap Sita, Rama's wife, your city of Lanka will be destroyed. Kumbhakarna and Vibhishana will be dead. Your sons will die. Lanka is a beautiful city, why do you want to destroy it. I beg of you, save Lanka and its inhabitants. Lakshmi stays with one who had good advisers. Sita knows only Rama and she will never accept you. Let your sons live long. Sita has not harmed you, so why do you want to harm her?

Ravana said, this is my order. Take the shape of a deer and go to Rama. Entice Rama away and I will kidnap Sita.

Maricha said he will go as a deer and will invite death. First it would be his death and then it would be Ravana's death.
He said, Before you take a decision, I request you to talk to Vibhishana. He will tell you what you should be doing.  If asks you to bring Sita, then bring her. Rama is Narayana. Do not grieve for Surpanakha's condition or for the death of Khara and Dushana. Think of yourself. I know you, O King and I see differences between you and Rama. You are proud. Rama is humble. I have come to forest here, leaving my family, because of Rama. Listen to me, and let go the thought of Sita. 

No comments:

Post a Comment