Sunday 27 March 2016

The Golden Deer

They came down from the flying chariot and landed in a clearing. Ravana then asked Maricha to take the form of a deer. Maricha transformed himself into a deer. The deer was golden in color and had a very soft skin. Its hooves were white in color. Its horns looked radiant. It glowed as if it was the Sun itself.

Ravana hid in the forest watching. Maricha went towards the hut of Rama. On the way, seeing his own reflection he was amazed. He saw Rama and Sita sitting and went and stood close by. It was as if the Gods had created this deer to test Sita and destroy Ravana.

Sita said to Rama, If you do not mind, I want to ask for something. Please get me this deer. I want to use its skin as a mat to sit on.

Rama hearing this called Lakshmana. He said You see that wonderful deer. It is unlike any animal I have ever seen. Sita wants the skin of this deer. What do you think of this?

Lakshmana seeing the deer said, I heard of rakshasa who are capable of taking any shape. I think this is one of those, who will entice you to follow it, take you deep in the forest and then kill and eat you. I have heard of Maricha. He knows this skill. It could be him.

Rama said Do not fear. Even if it is Maricha, I will kill him. If it is a deer, I will get it for Sita, who will keep it as a pet. If I am not able to capture it, I will kill and get the skin for Sita. I will now go behind the deer. Guard Sita while I am away.

Ravana, hiding, heard all this. He started makes plans to kidnap Sita.

Rama got ready. Taking his bow and arrows, he started following the deer.

Maricha thought, If I run away, Ravana will kill me. If I stay here, Rama will kill me. He started running around, with Rama slowly following it. When Rama would get close, it would run.

Rama realized that this was not a deer but a demon. He got a sharp arrow and shot that. It hit Maricha in his chest. Taking his own floor, he started rolling on the forest floor. Thinking of doing a good task for Ravana, he started shouting for help, in Rama's voice. Calling to Lakshmana in Rama's voice, he said The demons are all around. I need you to help me. Please come fast.

Rama realized he had come deep in the forest and some trouble was brewing. He took out the arrow, and hurried back towards his hut.

No comments:

Post a Comment